Drowning in Fabric

Forever cleaning, organizing and creating

August ALYOF Finish

I’ve been out of town most of the month. So, like, nothing has been getting done. I finally managed to settle in and buckle down on my finish for the month. I am working on my Tula Pink Houndstoothy quilt top. I had finished the blocks back in April at Stash Bash then put them aside and not touched them. I thought it would be a good one for vacation since blocks are done and I just need to assemble, and we have a large garage floor here for me to lay it out on. I’m having problems finding large spaces at my house.

I ran into a slight problem. I had made 132 blocks, intending an 11×12 grid. As I was laying it out, I realized I had duplicated a couple of blocks. Ugh. As I am on vacation, I just brought what I needed and no extra fabric. So, I had to make a decision – either table it til I get home or pull a row. I didn’t want to miss my goal and I had a sneaking feeling if I didn’t get this done here, it would sit on a shelf for another several months again. So I opted to do 10×12, 120 blocks.

image

This top was born from many (many many) Tula Pink swaps. I was in something like 15 rounds of a Tula Pink layer swap, as well as a couple of charm swaps and a brick swap. I am in all these charm swaps, then have no idea what to do with them. I find simple square layouts boring. This pattern seemed a more interesting alternative. I had more than 100 different prints from the charm swap (there were a few duplicates) and filled in the rest from the brick swap. So I never even actually touched the hundreds of layers I had accumulated (not to mention my own large yardage collection). There may be many more Tula quilts in my future. I had intended also to represent all lines (up to foxfield) but as my charm assortment ultimately dictated my blocks, I am not actually sure I accomplished it. I’ll need to sit down and check. If I had broken into my layers, I would have been able to do it. I am also not sure how successful the rainbow gradient is. Again, if I had hand selected my prints I would have done a better job of it, but I limited myself to what was in the charm swap and did the best I could with it. I thought it made a better layout than random.

I will use the leftover blocks in the back, and I have several yards of the Prince Charming raindrop saved for the back. I am glad I have finally finished it. Am I the only one who doesn’t love a quilt design as much when I am done as when I started? I was so psyched to do this one and now I am kind of over it. lol. This happens a lot. Of course, I have been working on it for a year. I am quite proud to see that my points and lining up and all that are so much improved. I was very happy with how it turned out technically. And now it gets added to the ever growing pile of tops that need backs. I did bring a couple of those with me to work on. One can hope. 🙂

 

Here is my goal post

Here are other posts about this quilt

Advertisements
5 Comments »

August ALYOF: Tula top

Running behind this month – still not feeling well. I am going to be away a lot of this month, but I am hoping to bring my machine with me for part of it. So, while I have many things to work on, I am picking my Tula top as my finish for this month. I’ve been working on this one on and off for nearly a year, so it is time. My mom’s house has a huge garage where I can lay it out for ease of placement and assembly, so that’s why I think this is a good one to work on there. I also hope to get some backs and maybe my economy block done there as well. We’ll see.

image

1 Comment »