Drowning in Fabric

Forever cleaning, organizing and creating

A quick sewing project…

on August 23, 2013

I’ve had quite a long sewing break. I was on vacation, had other things going on, etc etc… My son started preschool last week. I have to send him with a little snack when he goes, so I thought it might be fun to make him a lunch set. He loves Thomas, of course. I was at Hobby Lobby buying white Kona (never ending purchase!) for my next (current) project and came across some Thomas fabric there, so I got some. I found a green QSQ Thomas line as well at my favorite shop a few days later. Unfortunately, I didn’t take process pictures, but I followed some online tutorials. They were super easy.

IMG_1323

Tutorial for bag: http://whipup.net/category/whipup-tutorials/ (scroll all the way to the bottom)

Basically, you cut two pieces for the bag and two for the lining. I interfaced all four pieces since the HL Thomas was pretty thin, and I was using fabric, not stiff towels like the tutorial suggests. That really was the most time consuming part. After that, it went together quick and easy. I attached one of my hair bands in a matching lime and a big yellow button for the closure.

Tutorial for snack bags: http://www.sewcando.com/2013/05/super-simple-reusable-sandwichsnack-bag.html?m=1

This held me up a lot because of anxiety about food-safe coating for the inner part of the bag. I researched oilcloth (definitely not safe), laminated cotton (probably not safe, but no one will say for sure ), and fusible vinyl (they give a very non-responsive answer to if it is safe, but really, nothing vinyl is safe, right?), even PUL (nope). In the end I waffled between the laminate and vinyl (I really loved the idea of using my own). I had the Heat n Bond in my cart, and ultimately put it back. The risk is probably pretty small, but, without saying too much, we are having enough issues right now that I don’t want to take any additional or unnecessary risks with my son’s health or development. So, I just went with plain cotton and I guess I will still continue to use ziploc for anything messy. 😦 But the point is, they are cute.

Other than the research and conscience-wrestling, this was a super quick and simple project! You cut two pieces, fold it up and bind around them! I still had some problems catching the fabric in the binding, so had to go over it a couple of times. But that was the hardest part. I added snaps and it was done!

Advertisements

2 responses to “A quick sewing project…

  1. LubbyGirl says:

    These are cute! I’ve been meaning to make a lunch sack for myself (kids are grown and gone) for work, and have wondered the same thing about linings. I’m thinking I’ll just use cotton and wash it after each use. I put messy stuff in containers, but in the event of leakage at least cotton is washabel and bleachable. Well . . . actually, I prefer to use hydrogen peroxide over bleach. 🙂

  2. Great lunch set! He will be the envy of his classmates! Great job!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: